Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I have been spending hour after hour this week creating a slide-show to raise awareness of the desperate need for more registered organ donors in the UK. During this time I have been reading lots of letters to Donor Families from receipients, that are viewable on the internet. All the letters spoke of such heartfelt gratitude, but I think this one sums it up more than any other, so I've copied it down here. Wouldn't it be amazing to think that we had each left a gift like this behind?

Dear Donor Family,

" Thank You" these two words seem so inadequate for the gift of life you have given to me.

You have given me a second chance to live and many tomorrows.

I will be able to see the sun rise and set, feel the rain and sun on my face, hear the wind in the trees, and listen to the birds sing.

I will be able to hug and be hugged.

I must offer my deepest sympathy for your loss, mere words from a stranger, but heartfelt just the same. Perhaps, in your generous donation your family and mine will be able to "Celebrate the Life" of loved ones both past and present.

I know nothing about the donor only that they must have been kind, caring, compassionate, and generous, something they had to have learned from you, their family.

I feel that each new day has endless possibilities, and that my horizons are without bounds.

I only hope that I am able to justify the use of this wonderful gift.

I could make you promises of what I would do to make our world a better place, but we all know that promises tend to be broken and time can cause us to forget. But know this, not a day, not an hour, or a minute will go by without my thinking of the donor and their family without whom I would not have had a chance to live.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
The recipient

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emmie , look forword to the new slide show , that letter is so nice , mary often spoke about what she would write to the donor family , and always said she would love to meet them if she could :), hope you have a good weekend , much love to yourself and Brad xxxx

Tasha.x said...

Hey Emmie, hope ur feeling better. Also like Alan looking foward to the new slide show. That letter is lovely. Love to daisy dog. xxx