Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Well the lack of blogging on this page is starting to annoy even me now! I'm not sure whether I still have any readers, but I see what happens if I post another entry. I can't believe this is the first post of 2007. I do have some excuse in that during the first week of January my lovely friend Emily was whisked into Harefield Hospital for her long-awaited double lung transplant and at that time I started up a private blog for her that I kept daily for a month. Then our comedy night "Laughter for Life!" took over and there were a few weeks where I was doing the equivalent of working full-time on the preparations. The next few weeks were taken care of with dealing with a bit of a health battle and a bit of burn-out from the comedy night. Which brings us to now..... Ta-Da!!!!!

Anyway, I will try to be a better blogger over the coming months, even if it is short entries. I know there is nothing worse that continually clicking on a blog and finding the same out-of-date entry! I will also try to keep entries shorter as it will be less difficult to keep going (hopefully!). Sadly I can't promise the kind of laugh-a-minute blogging antics of Jayne or Jac, nor the amusing and perceptive delights of Emily so I won't even try but as long as out of a choice between watching paint dry and reading my blog, the latter wins in 90% of cases, then I'll be satisfied!

The other day I was standing in a charity shop examining the jewellery display under the counter. There was a rather large man standing next beside me facing directly towards me, as he chatted to his friend who was serving. As I bent down to look in the glass counter, I noticed the conversation fall silent and felt I was being watched. I suddeny became conscious that I might be providing a rather revealing view of my cleavage, seeing as I was wearing a faily low-cut top. As I straightened up the fat chap decided to speak.

"Cor that was lucky then" he joked, "I thought the top was going to come right off!"

Somewhat stunned by the impudence of this outlandishly rude statement my brain started whirring as to quite how to respond. Should I go all out and slap him (as seen in all the best soap operas)? Should I look around at all the other customers and humiliate him over what he had just dared to say to me? Why was his friend behind the counter just standing there calmly looking back at me? How dare they?!

"When you bent over I thought it was all going to come out!" laughed the fat man.

WELL! I was incensed by this point but also slightly bewildered. I'd never encountered anyone being so blatantly offensive and lecherous, seemingly without a shadow of embaressment or discomfort. The heat was now rising into my cheeks and I was genuinely contemplating the slap approach. Come to think of it, what was my husband doing just standing there looking at me? Why wasn't he jumping to my defence and laying this despicable little man flat out on his back? He should be prtecting my honour, grabbing the man by the scruff of the neck and telling him if he ever made lewd suggestions like that to his wife again, he would not forget it. How dare they all just stand there smiling? How dare they? How.......

But despite my look of incandessant rage and indignation I was lost for words and just glared at him in a scary way before stalking out the shop seething with anger.

"Didn't you just hear what he said Brad?!! What a bloody cheek! And you, just standing there watching and now saying anything. I had a good mind to....."

"He was talking about the water bottle"

"The WHAT???"

"He was talking about the water bottle you were holding in your hand. He was worried the top might come off it when you tipped it upside down as you looked down at the counter".

Oh. Right. Ahem.

Thank god I didn't slap him......

9 comments:

Jac said...

LOL! I wish I had cleavage to worry about - the most anyone sees when I bend over is the top of my pants 'cause my jeans are too big! I wish you had slapped him though - that would have been funnier. Maybe not for you, but I would have laughed ;-)

Glad to see you are blogging again - I was beginning to think you had a secret blog that I wasn't invited to, lol.

take care
Jac x

Tinypoppet said...

LMAO.

Muppet :P

(and fancy blaming me on your appalling lack of blogging...tsk ;))

Glad to see you back on here chickie, I always love reading about your antics :)

xxxxxxxxx

Jayne said...

Brilliant! Giggled at you feeling cross with Brad.

Great to see you back and blogging. I can't say too much about muppetry after my confusion with the Hydro sign up thingie. Lol.

Hope you are ok and not spilling anything out of anywhere.

xxx

Anonymous said...

bwah ha ha haaaaaa. Wouldn't it have been brilliant if you had slapped him as well. tee hee
Lizzie xxxx

Helen said...

I'm still a reader of your blog!!! It is good to see a new blog post although looking at your pretty christmas decorations was still good to!

The Life of a Paed Heart Transplant Recipient said...

LOL. Glad to see you blogging again Emma.

All our love

Bev and Lucy

Anonymous said...

LOL... Brilliant. Love that you updated your blog, and to think I almost didnt check! What a laugh, thank you. Keep well, Love to all three of you. Me x

It's Her said...

HOW REALLLY WEIRD!!! I check your blog all the time, but to my shame, because there hadn't been any updates in a while, I kinda...stopped. Anyway, I googled a rather specific search involving lung transplants, and the fourth result was THIS blog, so I HAD to check it out, and ta-da, an update!!! YOOHOO! Go YOU!

misdee said...

glad to see more entries.


and pmsl at this!!